Friday, February 12, 2010

Winter Storms Abound

   Listening to the weather this morning I've been debating the wisdom of packing up now to get out of here before the snow, yes, snow hits the beach. But then I looked at the regional forecast from here back to Kansas City, No matter which way I go, there will be snow. It hits today and continues through the night but by tomorrow, most of the storm will have passed. Knowing that the southern states are not well equipped for snow removal does give me pause but since the total accumulations are at best, 3", I'm thinking positive thoughts about watching a lovely storm from my balcony and then driving without incident on freeways headed north. I'm beginning to feel like the Johnny Appleseed of snow. At least I can't be blamed for the Dallas dumping!

   A comment was made on my last post about whether my hanging out on the beach is in the best interest of my stated goal. I thought I'd been more articulate on this point but as I read back through the last couple of posts, I see that I was more rambling than clear.
   There are many wonderful things about the south but there are two major things that have taken this region off my list.
   First and foremost is the humidity. If I hadn't done the southwestern search first, I would not have been as aware of the effects of climate. I have been focused on no snow (you gotta' laugh over that one!) and lots of sunshine but hadn't broken it down to the basic elements. For so many reasons I didn't think I would care in the least for the southwest. Until I was there. Now I can't get it out of my mind.
   But I decided to persevere with this southeastern leg of the search exactly because I hadn't seriously considered the southwest and look what happened with that assumption. So I've tried to keep an open mind as I traveled up, down and all around in North Carolina. Throughout this trip, one thing has remained constant: my arthritis. Even in winter, the humidity is a factor.
   The other reason I've made the decision that the south will not be my new home was hinted at in a previous post. I have tried to live according to the rules of engagement set by others. I find that living in such a fashion can be comforting in that you always know what to expect and what is expected of you. If you choose to branch out, living a wildly loud life, then you must be sure that you live in a place that supports individualism and flexible boundaries.
   I believe I have searched my soul to the depths of clarity and know that I can survive outside the confines of southern predetermination. Having made this decision, I am now free to enjoy all that the area has to offer and to appreciate the ocean, the sand and the time to write.
   The sun has struggled this morning. Early, it was a bright glow on horizon. As it rose, it was met by heavy cloud banks, keeping the light to themselves. I tracked the progress of the sun by the ever-rising bright spot in the clouds. It has now risen into a lesser cloud cover and is showing a glowing orb of light despite the clouds attempts to obscure it. You go, Sun! I'm pulling for you. You know I am!

1 comment:

  1. So a dry sunny location will be your home. Progress is being made. From what I have read here, during your odessy - sounds like Santa Fe is winning out. What is the next step. A place to live or a job search to support that life?

    ReplyDelete